At Wightman, we know you are the reason we are in business. Our longstanding commitment to safeguarding your right to privacy is the reason for our reputation as a leader in the protection of customer privacy.
Each year, we ensure that our employees sign a code of business conduct that requires the safeguarding and proper use of personal customer information. We also place strict controls on the protection and use of personal information within our systems and web sites and ensure that our employees are trained to respect our privacy at all times.
Policy Applies to Wightman Companies
Any time you do business with any of these companies, or with anyone acting as an agent on our behalf, you are protected by the rights and safeguards contained in the Policy and Code.
The Wightman Code of Fair Information Practices
Employees and Agents
The Wightman Code of Fair Information Practices also governs the behavior of our employees and agents acting on our behalf. All of our employees who have access to personal information have been trained on the handling of such information. And, new employees receive training on privacy as a fundamental part of their initial company training. All of our employees must review and commit to the Wightman Code of Fair Information Practices annually.
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. This includes information about your product and service subscriptions and usage. Publicly available information, such as public directory listing of your name, address, telephone number, electronic address, is not considered to be personal information.
Collecting Information Helps Us Serve You Better
Wightman collects personal information only for the following purposes:
- To establish and maintain responsible commercial relations with you and provide you with ongoing service;
- To understand your needs and eligibility for products & services;
- To recommend particular products & services to meet your needs;
- To develop, enhance, market or provide products and services;
- To manage and develop Wightman's business and operations, including personnel and employment matters; and
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements.
Your personal information will not be used for any other purpose without your consent.
Sharing Information Among the Wightman Companies Helps Us to Understand Your Full Needs
The purpose for sharing information among Wightman companies is to help us identify your information, communication, and entertainment needs, and to provide you with relevant information, advice and solutions.
Should you identify incorrect or outdated information to us, we will make the necessary changes promptly.
Other Parties with Whom the Wightman Companies May Share Personal Information
While our policy is not to provide personal information to any party outside of Wightman companies, there are certain limited circumstances, outlined below, in which it is necessary to do so. When we do provide personal information to third parties, we provide only that information that is required in the circumstances. Information provided to third parties is used only for the purpose stipulated and is subject to strict terms of confidentiality. Employees of the companies to whom we may provide information must adhere to our privacy standards. Third parties include:
- An agent acting on behalf of Wightman, such as a company hired to perform Customer billing, installation and maintenance on our behalf;
- Another communications service provider, in order to offer efficient and effective communications services (e.g., to provide wireless service while roaming in another company's coverage area);
- A collection agency, for the express purpose of the collection of past due bills;
- Law enforcement agencies, in emergencies, for internal security matters, or where required by court order or search warrant; and
- Emergency service, in emergency situations.
The Wightman commitment to privacy
We take all the necessary precautions to ensure the safeguarding of your information, whether it is stored electronically or in paper format. In all cases, information is retained in secure facilities, protected from unauthorized access and kept only as long as reasonably required. For example, our electronic files are backed up for redundancy, password protected and accessible only by authorized employees, on a need-to-know basis.
Use of "Cookies"
Protection of Children On-Line
As an added protection for children, on any of our commercial web sites or online services directed to children under 13 years of age, we will obtain the permission of a parent or legal guardian before collecting, using or disclosing any personally-identifiable information about a child, e.g., for participation in contests or promotions.
Privacy-Enhancing Services Offered by Wightman
The Wightman companies offer a number of services to help balance the privacy interests of customers and the people they call. You can find information about the Wightman services (e.g., Call Display, Visual Call Waiting, Ident-A-Call, Call Blocking, etc.) in the introductory pages of the telephone directory, by visiting www.wightman.ca or by contacting our Wightman business office based in Clifford, Ontario. Wightman Internet offers solutions for internet connectivity that allows you to maintain the privacy and security of your corporate electronic information. For more information, please contact our business office.
Questions or Concerns
If you have questions or concerns about your privacy, you can contact us through the Wightman company website listed below or call us at the number shown on your bill. Our customer service representatives will assist you in resolving the situation.
Wightman Privacy Ombudsman
If you still have unresolved concerns with respect to the treatment of your personal information by one of the Wightman companies, you may address these concerns, in writing, to the Wightman Privacy Ombudsman, who has overall responsibility for the companies' compliance with this policy and applicable privacy restrictions.
You should write to:
The Office of the Privacy Ombudsman 100 Elora St. N. P.O. Box 70 Clifford, ON N0G 1M0
Further Complaint Procedure
If the Wightman Privacy Ombudsman does not resolve the issue to your satisfaction, you may file a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by calling
1-800-282-1376, or visiting the
Commissioner's Website or writing to:
The Privacy Commissioner of Canada 112 Kent St. Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3
Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services
Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS) CCTS is an independent agency whose mandate is to resolve complaints of consumers about their telecom and TV services, and complaints of small business customers about their telecom services, free of charge. If you have a complaint about your telephone, wireless, internet or TV service, you must first try to resolve it directly with your service provider. If you have done so and have been unable to reach a satisfactory resolution, CCTS may be able to help you.
To learn more about CCTS, you may visit its website at www.ccts-cprst.ca or call toll-free at 1-888-221-1687.
You may decide that you prefer us not to share your personal information among Wightman companies to promote products and services. If this is the case, you may advise us by visiting our website or by calling us at the number shown on your bill.
Wightman Code of Fair Information Practices
Summary of Principles
- Accountability: Wightman is responsible for personal and customer information under their control and shall designate one or more persons who are accountable for compliance with the following principles.
- Identifying purposes for collection of customer information:
- Wightman shall identify the purposes for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected.
- Obtaining consent for collection, use or disclosure of personal information:
- The knowledge and consent of a customer or employee are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- Limiting collection of personal information: Wightman shall limit the collection of personal information to that which it is necessary for the purposes identified. Wightman shall collect personal information by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting use, disclosure and retention of personal information: Wightman shall not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it is collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Wightman shall retain personal information only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- Accuracy of personal information: Personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Security safeguards: Wightman shall protect personal information by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness concerning policies and practices: Wightman shall make readily available to customers and employees specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Customer and employee access to personal information: Wightman shall inform a customer or employee of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information upon request and shall give the individual access to that information. A customer or employee shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging compliance: A customer or employee shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated person or persons accountable for Wightman's compliance with the Code.