Wightman reserves the right to change these policies without notice. Be sure to review the policies before adding a listing.
The following activities are prohibited from Wightman’s Community Board:
- Adding a listing if you are not located in Ontario.
- Adding an item for sale that is not located in Ontario.
- Adding an item for sale that is illegal to own, buy or sell in your area of residence.
- Adding an item for sale that is in the prohibited items and services list.
- Adding duplicate listings in the same or multiple categories.
- Adding duplicate listings using multiple different email addresses.
- Adding a listing that serves no other purpose other than to send traffic to a web site.
- Adding job opening listings or help wanted listings.
- Adding listings for loans or other financial services.
- Adding a listing containing a list of keywords not directly related to the item being sold.
- Adding a listing in languages other than English.
- Adding a listing that contains adult, mature or erotic content. Personals are not allowed.
- Adding a listing that defames anyone or contains "hate speech".
- Adding a listing containing opinions, notices, and discussion topics which should instead be posted on social media sites.
- Adding a listing in an incorrect or misleading category or with misleading information.
- Adding a listing that violates Wightman’s Pet Listing Policies.
- Adding a listing as a Private Seller, Owner, or Individual when you are a Business, Dealer or Professional.
- Adding listings for a commercial entity or enterprise, large or small, including but not limited to selling products or services and recruitment.
- Users must be at least 16 years old. Listings for younger users must be added by an adult for security reasons.
- Any listings that do not comply with Wightman’s policies will not be posted to the site. Additionally, users who violate such policies repeatedly will be blocked from using Wightman’s Community Board in the future.
Our general rule is that you may not list, buy or sell items or services that are illegal to own, buy or sell in Ontario and/or your Municipality of residence, or that are not bought or sold in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. You are responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws relating to the item you list, buy or sell.
Do not add duplicate listings in one or multiple categories. If you’re unsure of which category to use, try searching to find out where others have put similar listings. If you add the same listing in multiple categories, they may be removed. If you add a duplicate listings in the same category, all but the most recent listing will be removed.
- We reserve the right to remove duplicate listings without notice.
- We reserve the right to remove listings that hinder the user experience.
- Listings for services must be condensed as much as possible. All facets of a service must be listed within a single listing instead of having a listing for each service.
The list below details what can't be posted on Wightman’s Community Board:
- Including pornography, nude photos, articles or erotic products
- Including prostitution, escort or accompanying services
- Links to sites offering the above items
- Including the delivery of alcohol and related beverages
- Note: Selling empty bottles, labels, caps as collectibles is permitted
- Baby Walkers
- Blood, Bodily Fluids and Body Parts
- Including organs
- Including surrogacy, fertility and donor requests (including sperm)
- Burglary Tools
- Car seats and booster seats (manufactured prior to January 1st, 2012)
- Child adoption services (seeking and offering)
- Combustible items (including flares and fireworks)
- Note: Emergency and distress flares are permitted only if they are designed and intended for signaling purposes
- Note: No offers of shipping
- Counterfeit items and distribution of copyrighted material
- Including currency, stamps, coins
- Including e-books
- Electronic Surveillance Equipment
- Designed or used primarily to illegally intercept/record the private actions or interactions of others without their knowledge or permission
- Embargoed Goods
- Government Issued IDs, Badges, Uniforms and Licenses
- Including transit, military, police, postal, etc.
- Hazardous Materials
- Including chemicals, pesticides, fireworks
- Including commercial-level fertilizers or pesticides. Ie. Aerial pesticides or fertilizers used for dusting crops
- High-Powered Laser Pointers
- Illegal Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia (or any mention of related items, services or activities)
- Including narcotics, steroids, marijuana, medicinal marijuana, etc.
- Illegal Items and Services
- Illegal or Unauthorized Wildlife Products
- Bear traps (regardless of size)
- Note: Given that certain types of bear traps are illegal - and that trapping regulations vary for each municipality - no bear traps of any kind are permitted
- Ivory or Bone
- Including fossilized mammoth tusks
- Note: Antiques that contain 5% or less of real ivory and were made before the year 1900, specifically musical instruments and furniture, are permitted. The year the item was manufactured as well as an image must be included in the listing.
- Note: Bone, including fossilized teeth or bone, from non-ivory producing animals is permitted. The species must be indicated in the listing.
- Identity Documents, Personal Financial Records & Personal Information
- In any form, including mailing lists
- Note: Collectable knives and swords (unsharpened, fantasy/antique) and kitchen utensils & cutlery are permitted
- Lottery Tickets, Sweepstakes Entries and Coin Operated Slot Machines
- New merchandise or services from network marketing companies (MLM), independent franchisees or distributors, or similar representatives, including listings attempting to recruit new representatives
- Offensive and Obscene Material
- Prescription Drugs and Devices
- Products that are unauthorized by Health Canada
- Recalled items
- Satellite products that violate the Radio-communication Act
- Services including those offered by any business, individual, contractor, or casual labourer. Registered charities are exempted.
- Stocks and Other Securities
- Stolen Property
- Tobacco Products or other smoking related items
- Including hookahs, e-cigarettes, herbal blends, etc
- Used Cosmetics
- Weapons (or any mention of related items, services or activities)
- Including, but not limited to, firearms, firearm parts and magazines, ammunition, BB and pellet guns, replica weapons, tear gas, stun guns, crossbows and martial arts weapons
- Including Airsoft guns, parts and ammunition
- Note: Archery and paintball equipment are permitted
Due to strict government regulations, you may not add listings for any tobacco products such as loose leaf tobacco, cigarettes and cigars. You may also not add listings for the following:
- Shisha Molasses that includes tobacco
- Nicotine inhalers or nasal sprays
- Listings that include photos of any of the above items even if the listing is for something else
- Tobacco products packaged in classic packaging
We also do not allow the sale of E-cigarettes. Health Canada has deemed them potentially dangerous as they are unregulated in Canada. This applies to both nicotine and non-nicotine containing brands.
WHY WAS MY CAR SEAT LISTING REJECTED?
In accordance with Health Canada’s Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, Wightman Community Board cannot permit the advertisement of car seats which do not comply with safety guidelines, and cannot permit listings for car or booster seats which were manufactured prior to January 1, 2012. All car seats and booster seats that were fabricated after that date comply with current policies.
It is illegal to buy, sell, trade, or give away any car or booster seats that do not comply with current federal regulations; anyone who does so may be held liable in civil court.
Questions regarding these guidelines can be answered by Health Canada’s Consumer Product Safety, who can be reached at 1-866-662-0666.
To learn more, please visit Transport Canada.
PET LISTING POLICIES
All listings added to the Wightman Community Board pets section must comply with the rules set out below.
As an advertiser, you must comply with all federal, provincial and municipal legislation related to animal protection. Check the relevant government sites for clarification. Any listings found to be breaching applicable laws or by-laws, and reported to us for breaching these laws, will be subject to removal from Wightman’s Community Board immediately.
In order to protect animal welfare and comply with Canadian laws, please follow these rules when adding a pet listing on Wightman’s Community Board:
- The Animal Pedigree Act makes it a federal offence to sell an animal of a recognized breed as, purebred, registered, or eligible to be registered if it is not.
- The term "purebred" is a confirmation of genetic background and adherence to breed characteristics, in accordance with the requirements of the Act and the by-laws of the authorized breed association. This means that you can only advertise your animal as purebred if it applies to this definition.
- The term "registered" is confirmation that all the rules of eligibility of the authorized breed association in Canada have been met.
- If an animal of a recognized breed is sold as purebred, registered or eligible to be registered, the seller is obligated to provide a duly transferred certificate of registration to the buyer not later than six months after the sale.
- Wightman does not permit any type of Breeding service (such as stud services) for any domestic pets.
- Listings added in the Pets section may not be listed as Free. It is important to us that everyone who adopts an animal can afford the care of the animal, and that they are committed to providing a safe and responsible environment to any animal they take in.
- Wightman does not permit listings that indicate signs of or encouraging animal cruelty. Accounts/users may be suspended if such listings are added.
- Wightman prohibits the sale of puppies and kittens under 8 weeks old. Date of birth for these animals must be clearly stated in the listings.
- Please do not add listings for sale of any animals that are on the endangered species list, Environment Canada CITES website, are wild animals, or animals that are not permitted to be owned or sold in any city in which the listing is being added or could be considered dangerous to others.
- Wightman is not intended to facilitate uncontrolled breeding or irresponsible commercial pet trading. For this reason, dog breeders are permitted to add a maximum of three (3) breeds only on Wightman's Community Board (including mixed breeds). Addling listings for more than three, even if only three are advertised on the site at one time, is not permitted.
- There are many dogs, that while they are good breeds, can easily fall into the hands of bad owners or breeders. Due to animal welfare concerns, the following dog breeds are not permitted on Wightman Community Board:
- Wolf Hybrid
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier (Staffy)
- American Staffordshire Terrier (Amstaff)
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Any dog that is a mixed-breed of these breeds, and has the characteristics substantially similar to pitbulls.
- As we cannot provide the proper screening and education required to the potential owners of these animals, Wightman only accepts listings for these breeds added by recognized animal shelters and rescues anywhere in Ontario.
- Wightman does not allow any listings that offer shipment of animals. Animals may only be sold locally so that the transactions can occur in person.