- Job Type
- Full Time
- Closing Date
- January 12, 2018 5:00 pm
Department: Network Operations
Reports to: Manager, Network Operations
Reporting to the Network Operations Manager, the Network Analyst’s primary responsibility is to install & maintain the operations of the core network delivery platforms and infrastructure. This would include the prompt response to identified network problems via network alarms or notifications, responsibility for tier 3 network technical support escalations and interaction with vendor support as required. This position requires a strong customer focused analytical individual with the skill sets to effectively communicate with key stakeholders and multitask while working in a technically focused, fast paced and dynamic work environment.
The typical daily work environment for this position would consist of primarily indoor work but can require some outdoor activities and on-demand overtime from time to time based on organizational needs. The responsibilities of this position will see the individual use a variety of software based tools and test equipment as required along with being part of a 24/7 on call pager rotation schedule to maintain network integrity. There is a requirement to use the corporate customer management system to perform portions of daily assigned tasks including viewing, updating and managing both customer and equipment related records.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to network problems, performing effective & efficient problem analysis, rapid troubleshooting techniques and prompt repair analysis to ensure service uptime objectives are met.
- Participate in discussions regarding network topology reviews and changes.
- Physically install, configure and turn up network related hardware as per corporate standards.
- Contribute to pro-active duties such as network capacity audits, networking monitoring of services as well as monthly, quarterly and yearly routines.
- Respond to a 24/7 on-call support pager on a scheduled rotational basis with other team members.
- Participate in scheduled and unscheduled after hours work including early mornings and/or evenings.
- Perform cutovers and upgrades to network hardware as directed to maintain vendor support levels.
- Participate with other team members in new product introduction testing and preparation of internal support documentation.
- Administrative reporting of Mileage, Timesheet and Expenses.
- Perform acceptance testing on new hardware to ensure corporate specifications are met.
- Work with established vendors to resolve complex network problems using documented processes. This includes the management of corporate priorities and both internal and vendor escalations.
- Test, troubleshoot, repair and escalate as necessary to meet Service Level Agreements.
- Interface with vendors, other departments, personnel and customers to resolve service or network related issues.
- Maintain up-to-date site documentation, configuration backups and contact lists for vendors and support channels.
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the corporate local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), computer workstations and peripherals.
- Monitor the performance of internal systems and networks, to co-ordinate access and use of internal network, to install computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Gain knowledge of and maintain key quality service indicators.
- Understand the corporate Vision, Mission and Values statements and consistently apply them to work efforts on a daily basis.
- Operate company vehicle as per corporate policy.
- Follow safe work practices and abide by all safety policies and regulations.
- Particularly defensive driving, use of personal protective equipment and the use of hand and power tools.
Core Competencies (Skills & Attributes)
Organization, Planning and Implementation:
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to prioritize evolving deadlines.
- Commit to continuous learning and demonstrate the ability to apply learned skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems effectively, take appropriate course of action, implement solutions and escalate as required.
- Complete work in a timely, consistent manner using safe working practices
- Prompt and punctual attendance
- Use analytical thinking and systematic troubleshooting when approaching a complex task or problem
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations by controlling behaviour and responses
- Strong customer focus to service both internal and external customers
- Ability to effectively cope with customers and coordinate tasks to meet objectives.
- Listen and respond effectively to customer questions, ensuring customer problems are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Commits to exceeding customer expectations.
- Tailor the content of communication to the level and experience of the audience
- Shares ideas and information willingly with others
- Writes and speaks effectively, expressing ideas and opinions concisely
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Works harmoniously with co-workers, peers and managers to get a job done
- Helps to set a tone of cooperation within the work group and across other work groups
- Responds positively to instructions and feedback
Initiative & Creativity:
- Responds to situations as they arise, carrying out required tasks with minimal supervision
- Foster innovation by proposing solutions to problems or improvements to processes
- Evaluate new products or technology as potential solutions to existing problems
- Remains open-minded and changes opinions on the basis of new information
- Performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as demands change
- Manages transitions from task to task effectively adapting to varying needs
- Technical Institute Degree, Diploma or Certificate in Electronics or Telecommunications is an asset.
- Cisco CCNA or higher certification is essential.
- Previous experience in Telecommunications and/or networking is essential.
- Knowledge of UNIX, VoIP, Video over IP and QOS technologies are essential.
- Knowledge and experience in Optical Fiber, Ethernet, TCP/IP and IPMulticasting.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Visio.
- Working knowledge and experience with -48V telecommunication power plants.
- Understanding of xDSL technologies is essential.
- Experience with Adtran hardware is essential.
- Experience with SNMP and network management systems is an asset.
- Experience with carrier grade networks is an asset.
- Understanding of cellular technologies is an asset.
- Experience with Metaswitch hardware and troubleshooting is essential.
- Experience in VoIP troubleshooting is an asset.
- Knowledge of PERL and PHP programming language is an asset.
- Must have a valid “G” driver’s license, maintain a clean driving record and be available to travel as required.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
This position requires some physical demands such as carrying and mounting equipment, kneeling, bending, sitting for long periods of time and may include work in all types of weather conditions. Specialized training will be available and will include travel, with some being outside of Canada. Additional demands include driving, working with hand and power tools, working alone and following tight schedules. Additionally, overtime could be required to restore services at any time of the day/night and will include the individual to carry a 7x24 on call pager for a week’s duration at a time. Normal work hours with demand overtime as required as well as carrying an on call 7x24 pager for a week at a time.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.