- Job Type
- Full Time
As a Telecommunications professional you will be responsible for the installation and repair of Wightman’s products including Telephone, Internet and IPTV. You will possess strong skill sets in trouble shooting and repairing the copper plant as well as fibre optic splicing and installations in residential and commercial settings. Focusing, not only on quality and professional workmanship, your interactions and ability to listen and understand the customer’s issues will be critical to the success of this role and the overall satisfaction of the customer. The technician will be proficient in the use of a laptop for receiving their daily workload, entering job related information and closing out each job. The technician will work closely with staff in provisioning, customer service and the central office and will demonstrate excellent, courteous communication by phone, radio or email.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install business and residential Phone, Data and TV services.
- Install and splice fibre optic cable in a residential or business setting.
- Install new Optical Network Terminals and verify light levels. Terminate cat 5/6 wiring onto ONT’s
- Test the terminated cat 5/6 outlets with a continuity tester.
- Configure set top boxes, routers, IADs, modems and phones for Wightman’s services.
- Program newly installed services and provide training to customer.
- Test internet speeds and record on the service order.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose customer issues in ILEC and CLEC territories with test equipment provided.
- Splice/bond copper cables in ground pedestals or aerial enclosures.
- Complete copper cutovers
- Ability to effectively use various pieces of equipment such as a fusion splicer, VOM/XDSL/Light meters, butt set, cat 5 tester, laptop.
- Installation and maintenance of Hosted PBX services and CPE based PBX services
- Follow documented installation and wiring processes and implement customer solutions as indicated on the orders.
- Document all work completed to ensure accurate billing.
- Care for the company provided work van and tools. Ensure stocked materials and tools in the van are well organized to ensure a safe and efficient work environment.
- Demonstrate excellent driving skills in the safest manner.
- Alternating work shifts from days, to weekday late shifts, to weekends with required overtime to meet peak workloads.
- Respond to after-hours outages as required.
- Proactively demonstrate Ontario Health and Safety work safe practices to foster the safest work environment as possible.
Core Competencies (Skills & Attributes)
Organization, Planning and Implementation:
- Full work day attendance and punctuality.
- Superior job task planning
- Strong time management skills
- Able to identify and make corrections to service problems
- Strong technical and analytical aptitude
- Excellent oral communication and listening skills; ability to effectively communicate ideas, concerns, job tasks with customers as well within the organization
- Accurate and legible written communication
- Excellent computer skills
- Professional phone etiquette with customers and co-workers
- Work effectively with others to achieve an exceptional Customer experience
- Able to rely on and reciprocate technical support with co-workers
- Work collaboratively with other departments
- Listen to customers and understand their needs and to assure them that the primary focus is to provide superior customer service and quality workmanship
- Knowledgeable on materials and services provided to open an opportunity for an upsell to enhance the customer’s experience
- Effectively with Customer escalations using superior interpersonal skills to resolve
- Ability to identify situations and systematically trouble shoot solutions using the knowledge and understanding of the tools required to swiftly resolve problems
- Post- secondary education in Electronics preferred
- Solid understanding of the Telecommunication Industry - with a focus on telephone plant.
- Previous experience cabling for telephone and tv in both business and residential environments
- Strong knowledge of fibre optic cabling and splicing.
- Previous experience in telecommunications considered an asset
- Working knowledge of the following solutions would be beneficial
- Telephone Class 5 feature functionality and line testing capabilities
- IPTV Middleware provisioning and Set Top Box programming
- Installation and programming of xDSL modems and routers including wireless solutions.
- Installation and programming of Optical Network Terminals
- Setup and Troubleshooting of home and small business data switches, routers and LAN configurations
- Valid Driver’s License with a clean abstract
- Must be bondable
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- This position requires extensive physical demands such as carrying and climbing ladders, kneeling, bending, and working in all types of weather conditions.
- Specialized training consists of, but is not limited to, “Safe Ladder Handling”, “Work Area Protection”, “Electrical Awareness”, WHMIS, “Defensive Driving”, and fusion splicing.
- Additional demands include driving, working with small tools and objects, working autonomously and following tight schedules.
- The incumbent's work hours will include days, evenings and weekend as scheduled as well as overtime as required.
How To Apply
Qualified candidates must submit a resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.