Job Type: Full Time
Who Are We
Wightman is seeking applications from energetic, highly motivated individuals to become part of our team. Wightman is a successful, fast-paced, and dynamic organization, with a positive, team-oriented work environment. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive and unique benefits package. Leverage your knowledge with a local technology leader in the telecommunication industry.
Reporting to the Manager of Access Network Design, the Fiber Splicing Technician will play a vital role in ensuring quality and timely delivery of services to our customers. Work is normally
performed in an outdoor setting within residential, commercial and construction sites.
What you will do
• Fiber optic cable & service wire stripping, cleaving and splicing.
• Fusion splicing with a variety of fusion sets.
• Access, install & testing of pressurized and non-pressurized FOSCs of various types & sizes.
• Cable vault racking techniques.
• Verification using a light meter & VFL, documenting and reporting of completed work.
• Responsible for the proper care of tools and equipment.
• Perform daily maintenance review of tools and equipment including vehicles.
• Must maintain a clean & tidy work environment.
• Other duties as assigned within the splicing & construction departments.
The ideal candidate is energetic, intelligent and an enthusiastic team player. Skills and attributes include:
• Consistent attendance and punctuality required.
• Integrity – job requires being honest and ethical.
• Safety conscience.
• Applicant should be self-motivated, willing to learn and able to accept instruction.
• Ability to read and understand maps, documents, enclosure forms, diagrams and splice schematic drawings.
• Strong manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
• Must be able to see and distinguish different colors and read fine print.
• Computer literacy & proficiency in the use of MS Office software.
• Must be receptive to changing priorities.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Documenting and reporting on completed work.
• Strong technical and analytical aptitude.
• Able to identify and make corrections to service problems.
• Able to plan, multitask and think quickly.
• Excellent oral communications and listening skills.
• Ability to effectively communicate ideas, concerns, job tasks with co-workers and management.
• Accurate and legible written communication.
• Professional phone etiquette.
• Secondary school level education is required (OSSD or equivalent)
• 3-5 years telecom experience, or willing to train the right candidate.
• Valid Ontario Driver’s license & Clean driving abstract.
• Must be able to tow a splicing trailer and navigate into tight & congested areas safely.
• Preference given to applicants who live within a 40 km radius of Teviotdale, ON
• Must be able to work at heights including ladders & bucket truck.
• Work in confined spaces as required.
• Physically capable to lift and carry 75 pounds.
• This position requires extensive physical demands such as carrying, kneeling, bending, and work in all types of weather conditions.
• Specialized training consists of, but is not limited to, “Work Area Protection,” “Electrical Awareness,” WHMIS, and “Defensive Driving.”
• Additional demands include driving, working with small tools and objects, working autonomously, and following tight schedules.
• May be required to work on day, night as well as weekend shifts.
• Outside work may occur in all types of weather conditions.
• Rotation in 24/7 on-call duty
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this opportunity, please forward your resume and accompanying cover letter to:
• [email protected]
• Submission must be received by 4:00 pm on February 3, 2023
Wightman is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all that express interest in joining our team however only those candidates selected will be contacted regarding additional assessment stages.